I have a great love for all things spicy. I should own stock in Tabasco given the amount of it I use. I can’t help it – if my mouth isn’t slightly on fire, I’m not completely happy. So you can imagine that I’ve had quite a love for Buffalo Wings since I was first introduced to them.
I’ve played with healthier ways to get that same tangy spice, including making a Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower as one of my game day snacks for this year’s Superbowl. The main detriment to buffalo anything is that it’s typically a fried food. But you can add that same sauce and flavor to just about anything that carries sauce well.
Of course, what’s a buffalo tasting snack without a little blue cheese and carrots? That’s what makes Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps such a great idea. Layer the buffalo sauced chicken, some julienned carrots, diced celery and blue cheese inside your favorite leaf lettuce and you get a filling way to enjoy that flavor, still with a little crunch without feeling like you just undid all the work you put in at the gym.
By the way, the last night I had this it was at the home of a good friend, paired with a homemade Shandy – 2/3 beer, 1/3 lemonade – a perfect pairing.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 2 lettuce wraps
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 8.2g
- Unsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1g
- Sugar: 2.1g
- Sodium: 1292mg
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 33g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 6 oz Frank's Red Hot (or other cayenne pepper sauce)
- 8 leaves Boston lettuce
- 1 cup shredded or julienned carrots
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 6 oz crumbled blue cheese (you can also use a blue cheese dressing)
- Place the chicken breasts and stock to cover the chicken in a crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the chicken easily shreds. Drain any excess liquid from the shredded chicken and add the Frank's Red Hot, mixing thoroughly. If you want a more intense spicy flavor, return the chicken with sauce to the crockpot and cook another 30 minutes.
- Layer the lettuce leaves with ¼ cup shredded sauced chicken, ⅛ cup carrots, diced celery and ¾ oz of blue cheese. Enjoy!