The Crustacean Lovers Strike Again: Shrimp Tacos with Spicy Green Apple Salsa
We can’t help it. We love crustaceans in this house. In fact, the weeone’s still mad at me that she wasn’t home for the Lobster Roll night.
It doesn’t matter if it’s shrimp, crabs, lobster – we love ’em all. I’m a fan of the bivalves as well, but I haven’t fully sold the child yet. Don’t worry, I’ll wear her down eventually.
In the meantime, we’ll spend lots and lots of quality time with shrimp. In this particular case, we ate it in a taco. That’s how we roll.
I have limited time to get dinner on the table on Monday and Wednesday in particular this school year, but this shrimp taco recipe came together quicker than I expected and I had it ready to eat in about 30 minutes. If your shrimp are already peeled and deveined, that helps.
The heat on this comes largely from the jalapeño in the salsa. How hot your pepper is will make a difference, so if you like really spicy and have a mild jalapeño, you may want to dice up more than one pepper. With that said, I used a relatively spicy jalapeño and yet, the salsa was not too hot for the spice-intolerant weeone. So this recipe, despite the word “spicy” is completely kid friendly.
This shrimp taco tastes like summer with the brightness of the lime and the spice of the jalapeño and the yumminess of shrimp. It’s a meal we will, without a doubt, eat again in this house.
Try it! You’re gonna love this one.
Shrimp Tacos with Spicy Green Apple Salsa
Serves 4 (2 tacos per serving)
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 ounce crumbled queso fresco
- In a zip top bag, combine 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 2 teaspoons of lime juice, cumin, paprika and ground red pepper.
- Add the shrimp to the bag, zip the top closed and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt, lime rind, sliced apples and jalapeños. Mix them all well, coating all of the apples with the liquid.
- In a grill pan over medium-high heat, cook the shrimp after discarding the marinade. Grill 2 minutes per side, doing in batches if necessary.
- Warm the tortillas (or crisp if you prefer) in the grill pan.
- Divide shrimp evenly across the tortillas topping with the apple salsa and queso fresco.
Calories: 259, Fat: 9.4g (sat 1.6, mono 5.3g, poly 1.7g), Protein: 21.2g, Carb: 24.3g, Fiber 3g, Chol: 170mg, Sodium: 364mg