A Menu of Mini Breakfast Bites
Monday was the first day of school here. It’s a day filled with anticipation, excitement, and, this year, a bit of sadness. You see, the weeone started 5th grade. It’s her last year of elementary school and I’m left wondering where the time went.
As much as I tease about my daughter, she’s truly an absolute joy. I’m proud of her and all of what she’s becoming. In fact, I’d call her one of the coolest people, not just kids, that I know.
But it really does just seem like last week I was bringing her home from the hospital and adjusting to having the alien live outside of my body.
To celebrate and commiserate, I had a few friends over after morning drop off for Bloody Mary Breakfast. The idea was simple – have a few breakfast items, bloody marys and chat about this crazy world of motherhood. It was a morning that did not disappoint as one of us had a child start middle school, one sent her youngest off to kindergarten and all of us were a bit nostalgic for when they weren’t growing like weeds and being such independent little people.
Along with the bloody marys, we had Cinnamon-Orange Mini-Muffins and Mini Canadian Bacon and Cheese Frittatas along with some fresh fruit. It was a perfect menu to eat through laughter, misty eyes and great conversation.
I loved that everything was bite sized and cute.
Mini Canadian Bacon Frittatas
Adapted from Cooking Light
Serves 8 (3 frittatas per serving)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped Canadian bacon
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion for 2-3 minutes, then add Canadian bacon and cook another 3-4 minutes. Cool.
- In a medium bowl combine remaining ingredients. Add onion and Canadian bacon. Mix thoroughly.
- Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Spoon mixture into 24 mini muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the centers are set.
- Serve warm.
Calories: 39, Fat: 1.3g (sat 0.5g, mono 0.2g, poly 0.1g), Protein: 4.4g, Carb: 2.3g, Fiber: 0.4g, Chol: 32g, Sodium: 121mg
Adapted from Betty Crocker
- 2 cups HeartSmart Bisquick
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light butter, softened
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
- 1/4 cup light butter, melted
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat bottoms of mini muffin pan with cooking spray or line with mini baking liners.
- In a bowl combine Bisquick, 1/4 cup sugar, softened butter, milk, orange peel and egg until completely blended.
- Divide batter evenly in 24 mini muffin cups.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Place melted butter and cinnamon sugar in separate bowls. Roll the tops of the muffins in the butter then the cinnamon sugar to coat the tops.
- Serve warm.
Calories: 70, Fat: 2.1g (sat 0.6g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.4g), Chol: 10.2mg, Protein: 1.2g, Carbs: 11g, Fiber: 0.3g, Sugar: 2.8g, Sodium: 113.2