You Scream, I Scream, We All Scream for…Sherbet! Fruit Sherbet on the Fly
I prefer sherbet to ice cream. *cue gasping*
There. I said it. I always have. I can’t help it. Even as a kid, when my mom took us to Baskin Robbins, I was more likely to get Rainbow Sherbet or Daiquiri Ice than bumble gum or cookie dough ice cream.
Rest assured that this genetic anomaly has not been passed along. The weeone, who does like sherbet, will always choose ice cream (likely cookie dough or mint chocolate chip) over any sherbet thrown her way. The universe is safe.
Since we’re all about eating healthy, I thought a frozen treat that was also not laden with fat and calories might make a very good experiment. I have plenty of recipes for granita and other icy treats, but I do like the slight creaminess of sherbet. So I did a little research on different ways to make a sherbet and how to make it creamy and I think I may have stumbled onto something quite grand.
This sherbet recipe is one that doesn’t require an ice cream maker and unlike many ice creams, doesn’t have to be cooked. You can make it literally moments before wanting to eat it as well, which is a plus for those of that like instant gratification and don’t like waiting. *whistles* Not that I know anyone like that.
Fruit Sherbet on the Fly
Servings: 4 (3/4 cup each)
- 3 1/2 cups frozen fruit (choose your favorite flavors- I used pineapple, mango & strawberry)
- 8 oz lowfat yogurt (use a complimentary flavor to your fruits- I used lime)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, lime or orange rind (I used lime)
- Let the frozen fruit sit on a counter at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to slightly thaw.
- Place all of the fruit along with the yogurt in a food processor and process until the combination is smooth.
- Serve. Alternately, you can place the sherbet in a freezer container and freeze for later use.
Nutritional Information: Per 3/4 cup serving
Calories: 144, Fat: 0.6g (sat 0.4g, mono 0.2g), Protein: 3g, Carbohydrates: 34.1g, Fiber: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 2 mg, Sodium: 78mg, Calcium: 29mg
When the weeone finds something she loves….