Why Can’t New England Be in Texas Lobster Rolls
I’ve had a craving for about eleventy billion days. Yes, that IS a real number. I’ve been craving a lobster roll.
I’m a fan of just about anything lobster, but a lobster roll in the middle of summer is a magnificent thing. It’s a meal that offers fresh and explosive flavors and leaves you smiling because it is every bit as tasty as you expected. Every. Freaking. Time.
The thing about having a craving for a lobster roll is that they’re not readily available in Houston, Texas. In fact, I’ve only had one in a restaurant here once and although it was “good” it wasn’t “oh my gosh, I feel so much better” great. I needed great.
So I spent eleventy billion days doing two things – 1) reading healthy lobster roll recipes and 2) waiting for the price of lobster tails to drop.
I was successful with one, but not the other. You figure it out.
Today I trudged to the store, bought six items, came home and made lobster rolls. And damn they were good. So good, that I’m sharing. I shared them when I made them. In fact, I wrapped them in freezer paper and hauled them to Minute Maid Park to eat while watching baseball. You can’t get more summery than lobster rolls while watching baseball.
The Astros lost, but the lobster rolls won.
Please make these. They are worth every dime the lobster costs you….I promise.
Picnic-Perfect Lobster Rolls
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise $
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 pound lobster meat, steamed and chopped
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) New England-style hot dog buns, toasted
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well; cover and chill at least 1 hour. Divide lobster mixture evenly among buns.
Tiffany Vickers Davis, Cooking Light
Calories: 284, Fat: 10.3g (sat: 0.8 g, mono: 4.9 g, poly: 2.7 g), Carbohydrate: 22.4 g, Fiber: 0.3 g, Calcium: 61 mg, Cholesterol: 65 mg, Iron: 1.5 mg, Protein: 21.7 g, Sodium: 731 mg
- The Crustacean Lovers Strike Again | A Girl in the South - [...] We can’t help it. We love crustaceans in this house. In fact, the weeone’s still mad at me that…
- The Crustacean Lovers Strike Again: Shrimp Tacos with Spicy Green Apple Salsa - [...] We can’t help it. We love crustaceans in this house. In fact, the weeone’s still mad at me that…