Grey Goose For Lunch? Shrimp Vodka Pasta
This isn’t 1954 so generally speaking, a little Grey Goose at lunchtime is frowned upon. But since I’m such a rule breaker, I had some yesterday anyway…in my pasta sauce.
Any pasta recipe immediately catches my eye, but one with a crustacean AND vodka? Sold. I’ve actually had this one earmarked for quite some time, but finally got around to it the other day at lunch. Yes, I said lunch.
Not only is the recipe the ideal cocktail of some of my favorite flavors, but it is ridiculously easy and fast. Fast enough to make at lunchtime. The recipe claimed 18 minutes from start to finish and, well…that was almost exactly right. It might have taken me 20 minutes, but I did have to peel and devein the shrimp, so we’ll call it even.
The sauce is light, but not too thin and holds to the pasta and shrimp exceptionally well. That’s a pet peeve of mine…sauce that leaves your pasta naked. No worries about that here. My other pasta pet peeve? Usually the serving size is tiny to try to keep the calorie count down, but I found the 1 1/4 cup serving size to be a perfect lunch.
This one’s moving to my “Definitely Repeat” list. Try it…I promise you’ll like it!
Shrimp Vodka Pasta
servings: 4 (1 1/4 cups per serving)
- 9 ounces refrigerated fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1 1/3 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Cook pasta per directions. Drain.
- 2. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté for 4 minutes or until done. Remove shrimp from pan.
- 3. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute. Carefully add vodka; cook 1 minute. Add marinara, 1/4 cup basil, cream, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer. Stir in pasta and shrimp. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
Nutritional Information: (serving size 1 1/4 cups)
Calories: 427, Fat: 12.6g (sat 4.9g, mono 4.8g, poly 14g), ProteinL 24.6g, Carb: 60g, Fiber 2.4g, Chol: 184mg, Iron: 2.2mg, Sodium: 630mg, Calc: 65mg
Jackie Newgent, Cooking Light