Because Even A Zucchini Makes a Good Fry: Zucchini Fries
I <3 zucchini. I always have. When I was a little girl we lived in rural PA for a spell. My mother had a HUGE vegetable garden and we grew different types of squash. My dad used to swear that he could hear the zucchini growing at night because we’d always have such an abundance of it.
So I thought I’d eaten zucchini every possible way you can think of. Turns out, I was wrong. I hadn’t baked it after smothering it in breadcrumbs and cheese. Man am I glad I didn’t give up on new ways to eat zucchini because these are my new favorite fry. Yep, it’s true!
I cut up the zukes in the shape of fries. I probably cut these a bit bigger than I wanted, but you can make them the size you prefer. Then you mix panko (or crushed rice crispies) and parmesan cheese and any seasoning you’d like together. Dip the zucchini in lightly beaten egg whites, the crumbs and place on a baking sheet you’ve hosed down with Pam or other cooking spray.
Into a 425 degree oven they go. Every good fry should be baked at high heat, right? YOu bake them about 20 minutes, flipping once in the middle. And what you get out of all of this….a little bit of veggie heaven. I bet your kids even love ’em!
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) – I use panko or crushed rice crispies
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan (2 1/4 ounces)
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 large zucchini (1 1/4 pounds total), halved crosswise and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray baking sheets with cooking spray. In a wide, shallow dish, mix together panko, Parmesan and seasonings. In another bowl, lightly beat egg whites.
- Drag the zucchini pieces in egg whites, then breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Arrange on sheets in a single layer. Bake until coating is golden brown and crisp, 20 minutes, flipping zucchini and rotating sheets halfway through. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve immediately.Nutritional Information: per serving ( about 1/2 a zucchini): 219 cal, 5g fat (3g sat fat), 14g protein, 29g carb, 3g fiber
- Recipe Redo: Zucchini Fries Become Chips - [...] I find an even better way to make it. Such was the case last weekend when I decided to…